Hobart International Airport (HBA)
History, Facts and Overview
(Hobart, Tasmania - TAS, Australia)
Hobart Airport was established in 1956 and when it opened it immediately replaced the neighbouring Cambridge Aerodrome, becoming the region's number one gateway. Originally named Lanherne Airport, Hobart Airport quickly became one of Australia's busiest airports, serving more than 100,000 passengers in its first year alone. The runway was extended in 1964 and again in the 1980s, to cope with Boeing 747 aircraft.
1976 saw the opening of the airport's domestic terminal, followed ten years later by the current international terminal. The airport was privatised in 1998 and is now leased to Hobart International Airport Pty Ltd, an organisation committed to the future of the airport and its continual redevelopment.
The air-conditioned terminals feature a range of modern facilities, along with large lounge areas, seating overlooking the actual aircraft, and a handful of shops, including a newsagents.
To reach Hobart itself, group transport at the airport includes local taxi services, chauffeured cars and limos, car rental companies, and inexpensive Airporter shuttle buses, which operate between the Virgin Blue terminal and the Qantas terminal.